Last updated April 5, 2021
This internet privacy statement explains our information-gathering practices related to the City’s website.
City of Spicer Privacy Statement
This statement explains our information-gathering practices related to the City’s website.
This statement applies only to Websites with the City’s official domain name (explorespicer.com) in the web address
Information you provide to us
The Minnesota Government Data Practices Act governs all data that the City
This law presumes that all such data is public unless classified otherwise.
See Minnesota Statutes Chapter 13
There are many exceptions to the presumption that all such data is public. If we ask you to provide private data through an online form, we will let you know about the proposed use of the data by the City before you submit the form online.
If you choose to submit information to the City by email, we will use, disseminate and retain the information you provide:
- Including any identifying information
- As needed in conducting the City’s official business
- In accordance with the laws governing retention and dissemination of data
You should be aware of the provisions of the law as it relates to data that you are sending to the City. If you have questions about information you share, contact the Spicer City Office.
Information about your visit to our site
The City of Spicer does not routinely collect or keep personal information about your visit to the City’s website. Like most Internet sites, our website reads some information from your computer to help us
- Analyze traffic patterns
- Perform routine maintenance
- Make it easier for you use our site
Temporary information we collect
In general, the information we collect is temporary. When you leave the site, we delete the information from our system.
The City automatically collects and stores the following information:
- Total number of visits to our site
- Number of unique visits to our site
- Types of computer systems used to access our site
- Web browser type and version
- Date and time of access
- The website that may have referred you (linked you) to this website
- The first and last page you visited in our site
None of the information described above contains personal, identifying information.
Information we collect for security purpose
For security purposes and to maintain service for all users, the City’s network system may use software programs to identify attempts to
- Gain unauthorized access
- Damage or misuse the systems or the City’s website
If we recognize a potential security threat, we may retain and review identifying information about the user and the questionable computer activity for security and other law enforcement-related purposes.
Our website traffic tracking system and other online services from the City may use “cookies” to help deliver online services. Cookies are simple text files that are created and stored on your computer.
The systems will destroy many of these cookies when a user does any of the following:
- Is not active on the site for a few minutes
- Successfully completes a transaction
- Closes the browser window
In some instances, however, cookie files may last for a longer time.
If your web browser does not accept cookies:
- You will be able to navigate the information content on our site.
- You may not be able to use some of the online transaction services provided by the City.
If you have questions about the information captured during a visit to the website, contact the Spicer City Office.