HOME OF THE WILDCATS
4TH OF JULY CELEBRATION
Spicer is located on beautiful Green Lake in West Central Minnesota!
timeline of spicer
- 1886: Spicer was founded. Named for John M. Spicer, the original owner of the town site.
- Spring 1887: “Belle of Green Lake” steamboat launched
- July 4, 1887: First 4th of July celebration
- 1890: Interlachen Hotel opened
- 1890: Petition granted to form new school district
- 1904: Green Lake State Bank incorporated
- April 29, 1904: Incorporation of Spicer village
- 1907: Spicer acquires first park (now part of County Park #4)
- November 16, 1910: Organization of Spicer Fire Department
- 1931: County Park #5 opens
- 1950: Dairy Freeze opens
- 1957: County Park #4 established
- 1985: First Responders unit is organized
- 1985: Dairy Queen opens
- 1987: 1st Ice Castle built using Green Lake ice
- 2018: Ice from Green Lake was used to build the St. Paul Winter Carnival ice castle. Spicer based company Wee Kut Ice Company harvested 4,000 blocks of ice for the 70 foot tall castle.